4MMSR-Network Security-2012-2013-taint assisted dom xss fuzzing
Taint Assisted DOM-XSS Fuzzing with Dominator Pro
fuzzing,DOM/type-0 XSS,data tainting
DOM XSS is an injection vulnerability for which few attack grammars do exist. The problem formalization can be derived from . There exist a fuzzer integrated in the penetration testing tool Dominator Pro . It is not clear how this fuzzing module does perform: it is likely that this module iteratively submits all values from a dictionary and keeps iterating until a given test verdict is obtained. In this mini research exercise we want to address this fuzzing process in two ways:
- how to generate an input sequence knowing previously submitted sequences?
- how to assess if a given input sequence is promising towards triggering this bug?
- formalize the DOM XSS problem
- list and content of existing DOM XSS attack grammars
- write a DOM-XSS attack grammar
- interface with Dominator Pro to obtain:
- the number of tainted nodes
- if a DOM XSS attack did occur or not (test verdict)
- write a fitness function for directing DOM XSS fuzzing
- write an evolutionary fuzzer
- propose a methodology for producing a DOM-XSS grammar
- what are the intuitions for writing the most relevant fitness function dimensions?
- compare the built-in DOMinator Pro fuzzer with the one you wrote (criteria to be defined)
- DOM Based Cross Site Scripting or XSS of the Third Kind, Amit Klein, 2005
- Finding DOM XSS with Dominator Pro, Stefano di Paola, 2011
- XSS Vulnerability Detection Using Model Inference Assisted Evolutionary Fuzzing, Fabien Duchene & Sanjay Rawat & Roland Groz & Jean-Luc Richier, 2012
- SPaCIoS, D3.3 "Methodology and technology for vulnerability-driven security testing", section "An Evolutionary Smart-Fuzzing Approach for Detecting XSS Injections Attacks", 2013
- create an archive on the ensimag server, so that only your team members and I have access to it.
- obviously, do not forget to send me the path afterwards